Mental models in action
First, how do I become a racist? What makes me not inclusive. Why don’t I embrace diversity?
What are the things that I tend to do under these circumstances?
- Confuse reactions with actions, unaware of the desires to need to feel good, safe, and useful:
👍🏼 “Like” / “Share” things that make me feel good and useful.
🙏🏼 Wishfully believe that the world will become better. Delegate to history, God, or both, for justice.
- Think I have done enough
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO INSTEAD?
1️⃣ Child’s mindset
❗️Drag myself into rabbit holes:
- “How to be Black” -> bookshop.org/books/how-to-be-black/9780062003225?aid=8136
- “10 Black History Documentaries” -> www.pbs.org/blackculture/explore/10-black-history-documentaries-to-watch/
- Childrens books on racism -> www.embracerace.org/resources/26-childrens-books-to-support-conversations-on-race-racism-resistance
❗️Catch myself for applying associations and conventions too soon
❗️Explain these realizations to my daughter
2️⃣ Proximity & Exposure:
Find people that gives me a better chance to know what it is like being black:
Equal Justice Initiative
Expose myself to narratives outside of my bubble:
One America News
3️⃣ Ask for Help
* What should I be reading?
* Whom should I talk to?
* What am I missing, doing wrong?
* Would you talk to me?
Lastly, be mindful of “effort justification.”